Oklahoma Adventure Trail East
The roatrip group started the Oklahoma Adventure Trail over New Year’s 2017 but we only had enough vacation days between us to tackle the western half. Not many people would champion Oklahoma as a sightseeing destination but we were pleasantly surprised with the beauty of the landscape and the variety of the west.
So with another long weekend coming up, we planned the eastern half for Easter weekend. Spring hadn’t quite sprung, so trees were still largely bare, but wildflowers were starting their takeover of the landscape. This trip had fewer specific destinations and parks, but no shortage of interesting rural adventure.
- Before we left: Whitewater Offroad Park by Keystone Dam in Tulsa
- Day 1: Fort Washita Grounds, Carpenters Bluff Bridge, Lake Hugo State Park
- Day 2: McCurtain County, Talimena Scenic Drive, Queen Wilhelmina State Park (AR)
- Day 3: Kiamichi Trail, Ouachita National Forest and Three Sticks Monument, Kiamichi Fire Tower, Muse Trail
- Day 4: Heavener Runestone Park, Wister Reservoir, Spiro Mounds (Spiro Nation ancient burial grounds), shipping locks along the Arkansas River
- Day 5: A rural return including a stop in Lenapah to plug a flat, ending back at the Whitewater Offroad Park in Tulsa
Regretably, with all intentions of journaling our adventures on the Travelogue, I fell behind thanks to some late nights and a general lack of internet service. I’d even made some nice backend API adjustments, too…